CHAPTER 10 THERE'S A WAY OUT OF THIS FOREST FIRE FOR SOCIETY
1. Explain four policies that can help move the country toward healthier living by overcoming consumerism. (Hint – these four relate to education, agricultural subsidies, health insurance, and marketing.)
1. Common education standards to ensure that all students learn about finance and the psychology of human motivation
2. Reforming our national food policy – instead of subsidizing foods that are harming health, we can might even consider subsidizing healthy foods like fruits and vegetables
3. Providing stronger healthcare coverage – particularly by moving away from an employer based model of medical coverage
4. Regulating marketing to children particularly in relation to food marketing
It narrows the focus to increase wealth thus mistakenly pursuing convenience and speed over things that actually impact happiness.
Gross National Happiness
It sometimes robs individuals of opportunities for cooking, exercising, spending time outdoors, etc.